Colombo: A local outfit identified as the National Tawheed Jamath is suspected to be involved in the Easter blasts in Sri Lanka, a minister said on Monday.
The serial blasts has killed 290 people and wounded 500 others.
Rajitha Senaratne said all suicide bombers involved in the blasts are believed to be Sri Lankan nationals.
At a press conference here on Monday, the minister said that the Chief of National Intelligence had warned the Inspector General of Police (IGP) regarding the probable attacks before April 11.
He said that the local outfit identified as the National Tawheed Jamath, a radical Muslim group, is suspected of plotting the deadly explosions.
“There may be international links to them,” he added.
Senaratne has sought resignation of police chief Pujith Jayasundera in view of the major security lapse.
Rauff Hakeem, a government minister and the leader of the main Muslim party, Sri Lanka Muslim Congress, said that it was lamentable that no preventive action was taken despite the inputs.
According to reports, seven suicide bombers were involved in eight blasts that targeted St Anthony’s Church in Colombo, St Sebastian’s Church in Negombo and Zeon Church in Batticaloa when the Easter Sunday mass were in progress.
The blasts struck three five-star hotels in Colombo, the Shangri-La, the Cinnamon Grand and the Kingsbury. No group has claimed responsibility for Sunday’s attacks, but police have so far arrested 24 people.