Dhenkanal: As many as seven elephants were electrocuted to death after coming in contact with a live electric wire at Kamalanga village under Sadar Forest Range in Dhenkanal district last night. The carcasses of the pachyderms were found on Saturday morning.
According to sources, the herd of around 13 wild tuskers ventured into the village proximity last night. Seven elephants of the herd died on the spot after coming in contact with the low-hanging live 11KV wire that was laid by the railway department for track construction work.
Bodies of the seven elephants were lying scattered near a nullah this morning.
Meanwhile, locals blamed the authorities concerned for negligence. They alleged that though the height of the wire should be at 15-feet, it was laid at a height of only 8-feet following which the jumbos came in contact with it resulting in their death.
On being informed, forest officials reached the spot and recovered the carcasses.