India-New Zealand T20 match at Barabati cancelled for Bali Yatra
Cuttack: The excitement of cricket fans in Odisha to witness the India-New Zealand T20 match faded away after the OCA in a letter to BCCI informed that it is unable on its part to host the international match in Barabati stadium on November 4 as the historial Bali Yatra event will begin from the same date.
The state cricket body apprised BCCI that it is impossible to host the T20 match as the historical event will start on the same date at a ground adjacent to the stadium.
However, in its response BCCI has assured to allot another match to be held between India and Sri Lanka on a date later.
The BCCI had informed the association that the T20 match on November 4 had been allotted to Cuttack on Tuesday.
The committee urged the board to swap any of the 22 other international matches from the three home series with Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.
OCA working committee chairman, Dhiren Palei said, “Holding an international match at that time at Barabati Stadium will not be possible as more than 10 lakh people throng to witness the yatra necessitating deployment of more than 45 platoons of police, along with quick action teams and rapid action forces”, Palai said.