Bhubaneswar: State Home Secretary Asit Tripathy on Wednesday confirmed identity of total 28 slain naxalites shot dead during the joint operation of Odisha-Andhra police along the Andhra border and sounded high alert for Kalahandi-Koraput districts.
Speaking to a press meet, Tripathy said “The police have identified 18 Maoist bodies so far while the rest would also be done soon” adding, “the extremists are believed to be members of the infamous RK Group.”
Meanwhile, full day long high alert has been alarmed in the undivided Koraput-Kalahandi districts, he added.
“We have ordered State police, CRPF, SOG, and other security personnel to stay alert and have asked to intensify search operations.” “We are closely looking at the situation. IG Operations, South Western DIG, and SP Malkangiri are presently reviewing the ground zero scenario,” Tripathy said.
Meanwhile, some family members of dead Maoists visited SP office to take back the dead bodies of their kin. Some of the deceased, including, Daya, Uday and Ganesh were top cadres of Andhra Odisha Border Special Zonal Committee and Malkangiri-Koraput-Vishaka Border Division Committee have been killed during the encounter.
Notably, in a biggest ever anti-Maoist operation, Odisha Police in assistance of Andhra Police gunned down 28 extremists including some female cadres.
The operations were carried out throughout Sunday night by some 200 security personnel belonging to Andhra Greyhound, Special Operation Group (SOG) and District Voluntary Force (DVF) and Odisha police in the cut off area of Chitrakonda in Malkangiri district.
On getting intelligence about an encampment of nearly 50 rebels in forest area of Bejing under Panasput panchayat police swooped down on them. In a severe exchange of fires some Maoists fled with bullet injuries while many were gunned down. A huge cache of arms and ammunition including AK-47 and SLRs were also recovered from the camps.