Christchurch: The death toll in Christchurch mosques massacre in New Zealand has risen to 40 as gunmen reported to be whites pumped in bullets on Friday.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the incident as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”. Media reports said the shootings took place at the Al Noor Mosque and Linwood Masjid.
According to reports one gunman believed to be Australian, filmed as he shot victims in the mosque and wrote a manifesto declaring his intentions, saying that “it is a terrorist attack”.
The police commissioner said there were multiple improvised explosive devices attached to vehicles as part of the attack.
Media reports said the attacker revealed that the act was to avenge the death of Ebba Akerlund, the 11-year old child who was killed in 2017 terror attack in Stockholm.
He said this act was to “show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands. Our homelands are our own as long as a white man still lives. They could never conquer our lands”.
He said he had been planning an attack for two years.
The gunman described the attack as an act of revenge for those who are trying to invade European land and enslave millions of Europeans. He claimed that he represents millions of Europeans and added that he wanted to ensure a future for the white children.
The government advised people not to go to mosques until further notice. All Christchurch schools were hurriedly shut down.
Eyewitnesses said the gunman began shooting in all directions.